The milestone of the Malay Regiment began on 31 May 1961 and 16 Zulhijjah 1380 of Islamic calendar which was the inception of the Malay Regiment. The event corresponded with the date of the declaration made by His Majesty Yang Maha Mulia Paduka Seri Baginda Maulana Al-Sultan Sir Muda Omar 'Ali Saifuddin Sa'adul Khairi Waddien, Sultan Dan Yang Di-Pertuan Negara Brunei Darussalam as the 28th Sultan of Brunei. The first intake of 60 recruits were selected to train at Port Dickson, Malaya. These recruits completed their training on 4th November 1961 and this marked the new era of bravery and heroism in modern Bruneians. To commemorate this important date, the Royal Brunei Land Forces celebrate its anniversary every 4th November.
The basic foundation of Brunei Malay Regiment which included the Headquarters, A, B and C Companies was established on 16th June 1962. This organization comprised of all members from the first, second and third intakes at the time, which they were located at Segenting Camp, Port Dickson, Negeri Sembilan, Malayan Federation while awaiting for the completion of a new camp at Berakas, Brunei. The Brunei Malay Regiment then left Segenting Camp on 2nd May 1964 on a ship and started their services back at the Berakas Camp, Brunei.